Warsaw is located in the Masovian Region in central Poland. Almost all of the city’s attractions are on the left bank, while most of the right bank is occupied by a trendy area called Prague. The tourist center of the city is the so-called “royal route”, which stretches from north to south through the new and Old Towns, bypassing the fashionable shops of New Svyat’s, palaces and royal gardens of Lazienki Park, and ultimately reaches the Wilanowski Palace, located south of the city center . There are many green parks with ponds and open-air cafes in the city, where city residents relax, go boating or attend free concerts. The nightlife of the city is fascinating with its richness, with the onset of darkness Warsaw seems to be animated even more.
Warsaw is the largest city in Poland, the center of economics, culture and education. The temperate continental climate contributes to the tourist season lasting from May to October. During this time, Warsaw usually has pleasant warm weather.
What can be seen in this city so rich in architectural monuments? We outline a short tour plan.
When you leave the Old Town for the New one, you must pass through the Barbican – part of the city wall that once surrounded the Old Town. In the 14-18 centuries, the historical center of the city was protected by a double ring of the fortress wall with several towers. This defensive structure was built in 1598 according to the project of the Italian architect Giovanni Batista.
The beautiful Castle Square is located in the medieval Old Town, famous for its beautiful buildings and narrow streets. In the center of the square stands the column of Sigismund III – the second most popular monument in Warsaw. It was installed in the years 1634-1644 at the initiative of King Vladislav VI, son of Sigismund III, and is one of the oldest monuments in the city.
The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1679-1696 according to the design of the Italian architect Bellotti. A wooden church once stood on this site, but by the end of the 17th century it was completely destroyed. The church acquired its modern look in the early 18th century. The cathedral is especially dear to the townspeople as a place where the heart of the outstanding composer Frederic Chopin is kept.
Once the Warsaw Jewish community was one of the largest in Europe. After World War II, one of the largest Jewish cemeteries appeared in Warsaw. The ancient cemetery is located on Okopova street, next to the Protestant cemetery and not far from Povacki. It is still a functioning cemetery, and restoration work is underway here.
Lazienki Park, located almost in the very center of the city, is one of the most beautiful parks in Warsaw. The park has numerous historical and cultural monuments – the Lazienki Palace, often called the “Palace on the Water”, several not so grandiose, but also noteworthy smaller palaces, pavilions, an amphitheater and two greenhouses.
Market Square is one of the most beautiful squares in Warsaw. It is also one of the favorite places for walks of citizens and guests of the city. Ancient architecture, street musicians, artists, small shops, cozy restaurants create a unique atmosphere of medieval Europe. The market square dates back to the 13th century; its modern layout dates back to the 17th century.
The Palace of Culture and Science, a typical example of Soviet architecture gravitating towards gigantomania, rises above the city and can be seen from almost anywhere in the capital. Until 1970, the palace was the highest architectural building in Europe, today it is the tallest building in Poland.
One of the most famous temples of the city is the Cathedral of St. John. Until the end of the 18th century, it was a small parish church, and only in 1798 it became a cathedral. The cathedral was not only a witness to the most significant events of Polish history, but many of them took place directly within its walls. For example, in 1764 the last king of Poland was crowned here.
In the place where the Stashitsa Palace now stands, there was once a Dominican church, built in the second half of the 17th century. In 1823, according to the project of the Italian architect Antonio Corazzi, a palace was built on this site. It was named after Stanislav Stashits, the founder of the Society of Friends of Science and the organizer of the construction of the building where this society was located.
On the banks of the Vistula River, the notorious Warsaw Citadel rises menacingly. The well-preserved fortress is an integral part of a city tour and a place of special interest for history buffs. Today it is one of the best-preserved military installations in Poland, as well as a very popular (and peaceful) place for walking.